I’ve been in a reflective state for the past week because I knew that I would hit this major milestone and I didn’t know how I would feel. In fact, I was anxious about today because there is a sense of fear of the future and the unknown. What is this major milestone you may ask?
I am officially a professional certified life coach.
I’ve invested in myself for the past 6 months to get to this moment. I will tell you that this certification isn’t for the faint of heart. The hardest part of becoming a life coach is going within yourself and coaching yourself around all of your own limiting beliefs.
What is a limiting belief?
Limiting beliefs are those which constrain us in some way. Just by believing them, we do not think, do or say the things that they inhibit. And in doing so we impoverish our lives.We may have beliefs about rights, duties, abilities, permissions and so on. Limiting beliefs are often about our selves and our self-identity. The beliefs may also be about other people and the world in general.In any case, they sadly limit us.1
Do you have limiting beliefs?
ME TOOOOO!!!! I didn’t realize the amount of limiting beliefs I had until I had to face them head on and let me tell you – it wasn’t easy or pretty to do. There was a lot of crying involved. Furthermore, I had to share my limiting beliefs with my classmates. WHAT!?! Not a fun or comfortable experience BUT beginning to change the narrative around my limiting beliefs allowed me to begin an inner transformation.
Here are some of my limiting beliefs:
|Limiting Belief||Reframing the belief|
|I am not qualified to be a coach.||Once you are certified you will be qualified.Your experiences qualify you to be a coach.|
|No one will want to hire me as a coach.||Your unique experiences will draw the right client to you.|
|Who will listen to me? What authority do I have?||Your experiences and views give you a testimony that is unique and people will want to hear about it.|
|How can I do this? It’s impossible.||Just take it one step at a time. You will find your way.|
I have learned that each stage of my life has prepared me for this exact moment. I have been asked numerous times how I do everything for this blog, life coaching, and generally just life. I do explain how I “do it all” in my Doing It All post. Spoiler alert if you haven’t read that post already – I don’t do it all.
- As a mom, I have learned how to explain things in a way that is simple to understand. I have also learned how to be compassionate and have empathy for others.
- As a retail worker, I have learned how to give great customer service to my clients and ensure that they are happy and satisfied with our coaching relationship. It has also helped me learn how to deal with negative people and give grace even if they are hurtful.
- As a phlebotomist, I have learned how to calmly hold space for a client as they become emotional and guide them to a more willing state of mind.
- As a Christ follower, I have learned how to be brave and pray for clients at the end of sessions. I was never brave enough to do this but I understand the power of prayer and now I am praying over clients.
Each experience has taught me so much about how to interact with those around me and all of those experience has prepared me for the newest chapter as a life coach.
The biggest lesson I have learned is to just show up.
- Show up mentally to class even if you feel that its not beneficial. You don’t know how it will assist you later on in life. It will help you, believe me.
- Show up physically when you have an opportunity to network with other like minded individuals even if you feel under qualified. You never know how that one interaction will catapult you to an even bigger opportunity.
- Show up emotionally for clients when they pour their hearts out to you. Creating a safe space for anyone to be vulnerable isn’t easy. Showing compassion and empathy is important.
- Show up as yourself. People know when you are being inauthentic. Trust that you are enough just as you are and that people are 100% interested in what you have to say.
- Show up and be seen. Allow yourself to be seen for the amazing person that you are even if you don’t believe it. Your unique experiences give you great authority of how your life has been shaped. People want to see that. So let them.
Beginning anything new is overwhelming and your limiting beliefs will shout at you internally because it is new. That’s ok! Your brain is programmed to keep you safe, so anything new will cause a feeling of ‘danger’ and fear. All you have to do is take a step forward and keep doing that until you reach the next thing. I know it sounds simple and its extremely harder to do but also know you are absolutely capable to do it right now.
How you may ask? By just showing up.
If you need help working through your limiting beliefs to get to the next milestone-chapter-goal-aspiration in your life. I’m here to help you work through them. If I can create space for myself to do something new. So can you.
I believe in you. So let’s talk about it.
Schedule a FREE 30 minute coaching session with me and let’s work through those limiting beliefs together. You’ll be surprised what just one session will do for you.
Don’t believe me? My one session with my own coach (YES coaches have coaches too) capitulated me forward and transformed how I viewed myself and my abilities. That is why I am here today. To serve you just as she served me.
Waiting…for you! Let’s do it!
Leave a Reply